Matar paneer is a main course dish that is made from fresh green peas and Indian cottage cheese. Let’s proceed to the recipe.
PREPARATION TIME: 45 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 30 MINUTES
COURSE: MAIN COURSE
Indian cottage cheese: 250 grams
Fresh green peas: 150 grams
Mustard oil: 1 tablespoon
Refined oil: 5 tablespoons
Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
Black peppercorn: 4
Cinnamon stick: 1 inch
Green cardamom: 2
Asafoetida: 1/4 teaspoon
Garlic cloves: 9-10
Ginger: 2 inches (grated)
Onion: 2 large (roughly chopped)
Tomato: 2 medium (roughly chopped)
Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder: 1.5 teaspoons
Garam masala powder: 2 teaspoons
Kitchen king masala: 1.5 teaspoon
Black pepper powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Kasuri methi: 1/2 teaspoon (crushed)
Fresh cream: 1 teaspoon
Salt: according to your taste
Water: for cooking
Chopped coriander leaves: for garnishing
- Take Indian cottage cheese (paneer) and cut it into small cubes. Take all cubes in a bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala powder, 1/2 teaspoon of kitchen king masala powder, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of mustard oil.
- Now gently mix all the spices and oil with paneer. Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Take two roughly chopped onion and garlic cloves in a mixer jar and with the help of water make a smooth paste. Don’t make the paste too watery. Keep this paste aside.
- Now put a karahi on medium flame and heat refined oil in it. Add marinated paneer and fry it for 4-5 minutes. Transfer them to a tissue paper on a plate. Meanwhile, in mortar and pestle roughly grind cloves, cinnamon stick, green cardamom, and black peppercorn.
- In remaining oil, add cumin seeds, grind dry spices, and let them splutter. Add asafoetida, grated ginger, and onion-garlic paste. Mix them and cook it for 5-6 minutes.
- Add remaining turmeric powder, red chili powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala powder, kitchen king masala powder, and mix it. Cook it for 2 minutes and add fresh green peas. Mix them, cover, and cook for 7-8 minutes on simmer flame.
- Meanwhile, take two roughly chopped tomatoes in a blender jar and blend it. Add this paste to the karahi. Mix again, cover, and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Now add paneer cubes and gently mix them. Add salt according to your taste. Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix them all. Cover and cook on simmer flame for 10 minutes. Open the lid, add Kasuri methi, fresh cream and, and 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder. Stirs and cover the lid and cook it for 1 minute. Open the lid, gently stirs, and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve it with roti, paratha, or naan.
- Dhaba style Matar paneer is ready!
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME READING THIS ARTICLE. SHOW SOME LOVE BY LIKING, SHARING AND FOLLOWING MY BLOG. AND IF YOU THINK THIS ARTICLE CAN BE USEFUL FOR SOMEONE YOU KNOW, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, LINKEDIN OR ANYWHERE YOU WANT! 🙂
I am Abhilasha, a housewife, health enthusiast, a cook and everything in between!
Welcome to my blog where I’ll be posting easy and homemade recipes.
Stay tuned and don’t forget to follow my blog! :)