Dal makhani is a famous Indian main course dish which is made of black gram and kidney beans. Let’s proceed to the recipe.
PREPARATION TIME: 9 HOURS
COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR
CUISINE: PUNJABI (INDIAN)
Black gram (sabut urad dal): 150 grams
kidney beans (rajma): 50 grams
Water: for cooking
Fresh cream: 4 tablespoons
Butter: 1 tablespoon
Oil: 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida: 2 pinches
Ginger-garlic paste: 2 teaspoons
Green chilies: 4 (chopped)
Onions: 2 medium (finely chopped)
Tomatoes: 2 medium (finely chopped)
Curry leaves: 7-8
Cloves (laung): 4
Green cardamoms (hari elachi): 3
Black cardamoms (badi elaichi) : 1
Cinnamon stick (dalchini): 1 inch
Bay leaf (tez patta): 1
Nutmeg (jaiphal) powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi): 1/2 teaspoon (crushed)
Salt: according to your taste
Rinse black gram and kidney beans with fresh water. Soak in enough water for 9 hours.
- First, drain water from soaked black grams and kidney beans. Rinse them couple of times with fresh water.
- Take them in a pressure cooker, add turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Add 2 tablespoons fresh cream and 750 ml of water. Stir them well, cover the lid, and put the pressure cooker on high flame.
- Let them cook for 12-13 whistles and turn off the flame. Let the steam release by itself. Open the lid, check if kidney beans and black gram cooked or not. If not, then add some more water and cook till 5-6 whistles.
- Now put a karahi on medium flame and add cloves, green cardamoms, black cardamoms, and cinnamon stick. Dry roast them for 2-3 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Transfer them to a blender, blend it to a powder, and keep aside.
- Again put that karahi on medium flame and heat oil and butter. Add bay leaf, cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, and let them splutter.
- Now add finely chopped onion, chopped green chilies, and ginger garlic paste. Saute till onions turn translucent. Now add finely chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder, coriander powder, nutmeg powder, prepared dry spices powder, and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Mix, cover, and cook on medium flame. medium flame. Stir occasionally and cook till oil has started coming out from sides. Add boiled kidney beans and black gram. Stir well and add some water if required.
- Remember, dal makhani should not be too watery or too dry. Cook on medium flame for 7-8 minutes. Now add remaining fresh cream, garam masala, salt (less than your taste because salt has already added in pressure cooker) and kasuri methi.
- Mix them well and cook for 2 minutes. After this, turn off the flame and serve it hot with rice or naan.
- Dal makhani is ready!
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME READING THIS ARTICLE. SHOW SOME LOVE BY LIKING, SHARING AND FOLLOWING MY BLOG. AND IF YOU THINK THIS ARTICLE CAN BE USEFUL FOR SOMEONE YOU KNOW, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, LINKEDIN OR ANYWHERE YOU WANT! 🙂
I am Abhilasha, a housewife, health enthusiast, a cook and everything in between!
Welcome to my blog where I’ll be posting easy and homemade recipes.
Stay tuned and don’t forget to follow my blog! :)