Dosa is a famous south Indian breakfast which is made of rice and split black gram (urad daal) paste. Today I have tried masala dosa. You can have this as a snack. This dish is easy to eat for every age group people. Let’s proceed to the recipe.
COOKING TIME: 30 MINUTES
SERVING: 25 MASALA DOSA
CUISINE: SOUTH INDIAN
COURSE: BREAKFAST, SNACKS
For Dosa Batter
Urad Dal: 200 grams
Idli rice: 500 grams
Poha (Flattened rice): 70 grams
Water: for soaking and grinding
Potatoes: 5 large (boiled)
Oil: 1.5 tablespoons
Asafoetida: 2 pinches
Mustard seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves: 9-10
Green chilies: 4 (chopped)
Ginger: 1 inch (finely chopped)
Garlic cloves: 8-9 (finely chopped)
Onion: 2 large (finely sliced)
Turmeric powder: 3/4 teaspoon
Garam masala powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Salt: according to your taste
Coriander leaves: 1 tablespoon (chopped)
For Dosa Batter
- First, wash urad dal, rice, and poha in different bowls with water.
- Now soak them in water in 2 different bowls for 4 hours, you can soak rice and poha in one bowl.
- After 4 hours, drain the water and transfer them to blender or grinder one by one.
- Now blend to the smooth batter and with the help of water required.
Blend them one by one and now transfer both the batters in a large bowl.
- Now cover it with a plate and place it to a warm place for 8-10 hours till the batter ferments and doubles.
- After 8-10 hours, you can see that batter doubles indicating well fermented with air pockets present. Now add salt according to the ingredients mix stir well. Dosa batter is ready.
- Take boiled potatoes in a bowl, peel, and mash them. Put a pan on medium flame and heat oil. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add asafoetida, curry leaves, chopped green chilies, and fry them for 30 seconds.
- Now add finely chopped garlic cloves, finely chopped ginger, sliced onions and saute them till they turn translucent. Now add turmeric powder and saute again.
- Add mashed potatoes, salt, and garam masala powder. Mix them and stir occasionally on simmer flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, mix, and turn off the flame. Masala is ready.
Making Masala Dosa
- Stir the dosa batter and add water if required. Remember, dosa batter should neither too thick nor too watery.
- Put a dosa tawa on simmer flame, brush it with cooking oil, and heat.
- Keep the flame on simmer and spread dosa batter gently in a circular way on hot tawa.
- Keep flame on medium and cook dosa, sprinkle few drops of oil on top and edges. Cook from one side until it turns golden brown and crispy.
- Flip it to other side and cook for 1 minute on simmer flame. Again flip it and place a portion on masala on dosa in the center and spread. Fold the dosa and serve with sambar and coconut chutney.
Sambar and coconut chutney recipe: https://yellowbowlrecipes.com/2018/10/23/idli-sambar/
- Masala dosa is ready!
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME READING THIS ARTICLE. SHOW SOME LOVE BY LIKING, SHARING AND FOLLOWING MY BLOG. AND IF YOU THINK THIS ARTICLE CAN BE USEFUL FOR SOMEONE YOU KNOW, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, LINKEDIN OR ANYWHERE YOU WANT! 🙂