Jackfruit curry is a North Indian main course dish which is made of Indian spices. Let’s proceed to the recipe.
PREPARATION TIME: 45 MINUTES
CUISINE: NORTH INDIAN
COURSE: MAIN COURSE
Jackfruit (kathal): 350 grams (unripe)
Mustard oil: 4 tablespoons
Cumin seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida: 1/4 teaspoon
Onion: 3 large sized (finely chopped)
Garlic cloves: 15
Ginger: 2 inches
Green chilies: 4
Black cardamoms: 2
Green cardamoms: 2
Bay leaf: 2
Cinnamon stick: 1 inch
Black pepper: 4
Garam masala powder: 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
Red chili powder: 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder: 2 teaspoons
Salt: according to the taste
Clarified butter (ghee): 1 tablespoon
Water: 2 cups
Chopped coriander leaves: for garnishing
- First, apply oil on your palms and knife. Peel and chop unripe jackfruit and remove seeds. Rinse it from water and keep aside.
- Now, put a pressure cooker on medium flame and heat oil until the smoke starts coming out of the oil.
- In a mortar, take cumin seeds, cloves, black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon stick, black pepper, and roughly grind this.
- Add bay leaf, asafoetida, mortar grind spices in hot oil and let them splutter.
- Add 2 finely chopped onions and saute until they turn translucent. Now add chopped jackfruit and fry till it they turn brown.
- In parallel, add ginger, garlic, green chilies, 1 large onion, and 2 tablespoons water in a mixer jar. With the help of mixer, make smooth paste.
- Now add this paste in pressure cooker, mix, and cook for 10 minutes on simmer flame.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and mix. Cook till oil has started coming out from sides.
- Add water, salt, and clarified butter. Mix and cover the lid of pressure cooker. Cook till 6-7 whistles on medium flame.
- Let the cooker release steam itself and open the lid. Curry should neither be too watery nor too dry. Open the cooker and check, if curry is too watery then cook for some more time and if too dry then add some water and cook again.
- Slightly mash with with a potato masher. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with puri or rice.
- Jackfruit curry is ready!
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME READING THIS ARTICLE. SHOW SOME LOVE BY LIKING, SHARING AND FOLLOWING MY BLOG. AND IF YOU THINK THIS ARTICLE CAN BE USEFUL FOR SOMEONE YOU KNOW, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, LINKEDIN OR ANYWHERE YOU WANT! 🙂